GW2 Council

Teamspeak Icons!

My first thought exactly. It's quite tiring to have to scroll or re-adjust window size for teamspeak when trying to remember a leader's name when they have 7 icons (Yes 7, I've actually counted, I've even seen one 8.) and you can't actually see their names, especially with how nested these channels are. But I suppose that's for another area of the forums to be forgotten.

Problem solved, leaders can't get them. We facilitate your earning of the icons but can't partake in the joys of holding them ourselves  :nervous:

This is probably a bit of a stupid suggestion, since I do realize keeping track of it is going to be a hassle, but I was wondering if perhaps you could consider adding an icon to earn after x amount of times (like ten or fifteen, something high up so it's something to earn) someone steps up to whisper TTS guilds, or something like that? It's not a very exciting task and again, probably more work to implement it efficiently than it warrants, but I've noticed at EU raids it's sometimes a struggle to have people step up for it, and the ones who do are usually the same handful of people. Maybe having something to earn for bragging rights would motivate people?

Sorry if this isn't the right place to bring this up, but I was wondering if this could be helpful in any way at all!

Problem solved, leaders can't get them. We facilitate your earning of the icons but can't partake in the joys of holding them ourselves  :nervous:

clAijhf.png

wow much problem, so solved. That's the standard TS size too, before anyone re-sizes it. :^)

Once again, from a design standpoint - they're inherently flawed. If you wanted awards, I could have made them forum based, but the leadership specifically said that award icons were not in their interest, and then they're added after I leave. I recoded an entire plugin that merely needs to be installed. They could then be placed on the forums, and not clutter the teamspeak. Rachel did reach out to me and ask if I ever got around to doing it, which I replied yes, but I guess asking me for my work was too much? I'm not quite sure, but that's just my opinion. 

There's always a better way of doing things, and while I think the idea is great, and definitely is the shove people need to try new things, placing them on the Teamspeak just seems... wrong - in my opinion. However, I trust these ideas were carefully thought out, and I think we need to wait and see how this affects usability before jumping to the conclusion that it's too much.

Lets wait and see.

:devestated:

The leadership specifically said that award icons were not in their interest, and then they're added after I leave. I recoded an entire plugin that merely needs to be installed. They could then be placed on the forums, and not clutter the teamspeak. Rachel did reach out to me and ask if I ever got around to doing it, which I replied yes, but I guess asking me for my work was too much? I'm not quite sure, but that's just my opinion.

The vote to allow icons on the forums passed 20 to 1 in the febuary meeting which you attended.

Im not sure how that translates to icons being described as in no ones interest.

the last thing i can see mentioned about the project though is trying to decide what to call them and then the project goes dark.

Implementation would be welcome and i would be happy to work on it with you.

the last thing i can see mentioned about the project though is trying to decide what to call them and then the project goes dark.

Never denied the motion passing twenty to one, I was well aware there was a vote. It got muddied down because a discussion boiled over whether or not "award's box" was an appropriate name. In which most leaders then said they didn't believe "awards" was appropriate. Moreover, I was in the mindset that the vote was for the Bug Squasher icon being revived, and not for all of these award icons to be added. If I recall correctly, which I may not be, the vote also was for the box being added and the icons being moved to the forums, not for more of them to be added.

Edit: Decided to look through my old stuff, spoiler:

• Voting

• Bug Squasher Icon - Revive and give leaders power to hand out

• Leave as is - 1

• Remove - 7

• Revive and give leaders power to hand out - 9

So yeah, I was recalling correctly. :)

As for integration, I would still recommend seeing how the Teamspeak functions with the icons being utilized. If it comes down to it, I would be happy to implement it for you guys. So yeah, I said it wasn't in their interest because a discussion was raised over how "award" wasn't the appropriate name for it. Not to get this off-topic any further, now. If there's any further discussion to be had over the plugin, just whisper me, please. As always though, just my incredibly biased opinion, take it with a grain of salt. I am really interested to see if they work out, they have some pretty stringent requirements, so I am sure not everyone will get these bad boys :).

Lastly, leaders are allowed these icons, or no? I see Rachel and Fortis mentioned no, but... 

5HnqO5Z.png

Once again, from a design standpoint - they're inherently flawed. If you wanted awards, I could have made them forum based, but the leadership specifically said that award icons were not in their interest, and then they're added after I leave. I recoded an entire plugin that merely needs to be installed. They could then be placed on the forums, and not clutter the teamspeak. Rachel did reach out to me and ask if I ever got around to doing it, which I replied yes, but I guess asking me for my work was too much? I'm not quite sure, but that's just my opinion. 

I thought you said that you didn't get the work done (computer jargon confuses me)...My bad.  If you have it, I would still LOVE to use it!

If you're having trouble seeing people names there are few things you can do! 

1. Change Window Size ( Monitor in this day and age should be higher than 1024 x 768 so should have no problems extending the size.)
  2. Turn Off Icons ( In Settings -> Options -> Design turn off Display Overwolf Icons & Display Country Flags. )
  3. Hide Description Area ( There only a handful of information is displayed in description hiding it won't cause any problems and when needed resize it back. )

While may not be everyone perfect solution. It's a solution which you can choose to enable on your own.

If you're having trouble seeing people names there are few things you can do! 

1. Change Window Size ( Monitor in this day and age should be higher than 1024 x 768 so should have no problems extending the size.)
  2. Turn Off Icons ( In Settings -> Options -> Design turn off Display Overwolf Icons & Display Country Flags. )
  3. Hide Description Area ( There only a handful of information is displayed in description hiding it won't cause any problems and when needed resize it back. )

While may not be everyone perfect solution. It's a solution which you can choose to enable on your own.

So can we get a higher limit than 5 icons now? :clap:

Please don't make Eric have an aneurysm.  

:explosion:       :angry2:     :devestated:

Well we gotta catch up with EthearalGuardians  (can't remember which channel in our ts that was talking about this 'guilds' teamspeak and posted the ts address, which I then had to go check out)

jY422DE.jpg

Please don't make Eric have an aneurysm.  

:explosion:       :angry2:     :devestated:

My brain can't take things looking bad. My body hurts Saith, IT HURTS!

clAijhf.png

wow much problem, so solved. That's the standard TS size too, before anyone re-sizes it. :^)

There's always a better way of doing things, and while I think the idea is great, and definitely is the shove people need to try new things, placing them on the Teamspeak just seems... wrong - in my opinion. However, I trust these ideas were carefully thought out, and I think we need to wait and see how this affects usability before jumping to the conclusion that it's too much.

Lets wait and see.

:devestated:

This is the point I was trying to get across, just very poorly. It's just so cluttered with extra icons. I have my teamspeak size increased but the nesting just makes it horrible for this exact problem. If we were using one of the many forums that allowed TS3 integration (Enjin, PHP, VBulletin) which would keep most of the ranks/groups on the forums. I don't really know what all the server groups are for, but other than vanity icons, is there much need to show if you're a Leader or Council? The speed clears are nice to show as a community thing (limiting it to 1 for Teq and 1 for Wurm), Condi/Reflect I am personally iffy about as we always have volunteers for leading the training, unless we default these people to always being in charge of training, I'm a little lost on why they have them other than "I can do it better and they recognize me for it". Toga Party/Pink Day kind of the same way as the speed clears. Keep the most current, and remove the icon from the previous or create a separate group for those who did not participate in the most current so they may retain their icon so those who did both can only have one. No idea what GW2 Chat 1, 2, or 3 is but I'm assuming it's something to do with whisper lists so that the leaders can use to talk amongst themselves? Not sure why it has to be displayed.

Other things like Wurm Killer are not a big deal seeing as very few people have them...but at this point it doesn't really mean anything now that all of GW2 has Triple Trouble on farm to the point where any organized pug group can decap at least 1 or 2 heads, much less other guilds.

Just my opinion on everytime I join teamspeak for these events. It's gotten to the point where I only really get into TS if I either know there is going to be a taco whisper (which last I knew was pretty rare already). Otherwise I've done wurm enough to know what to do, know to follow tag, and how to react on my own when I see something going on, to where avoiding teamspeak is entirely possible.

So to sum it all up, in my opinion icons should really be limited to 3 or 4 at most. Enough to designate a Leader/Council, Speed kill on one or both raids, and your Taco. Anything more should be channel groups that can be inherited from the lobbies, such as Wurm Killer, the Toga/Pink events being assigned to another set of inherited channel groups for when hanging out, dungeons, or fractals (general activities) where the clutter is not that much of an issue, and the level of channel nesting is not severe.

This has been another wall of debbie-downer text by yours truly, D'han Rahl of the Failbois.

PS - Ailarin miss having you around broskii, not as much fun without our glorious leader. Also if you encoded a TS3 integration for IPboards, you're awesome.

Is there a reason you need the description window on the right side so large? I never had issues with seeing people's names no matter how many icons they got :ohyeah:

All you need to do is just expand the channels window box.