Addy

How Did You Pick Your Name?

Here's a fun topic for everyone: How did you pick the name you go by in game?

I have always been very curious to know how each person picked their in-game name.

For me, Addy is a character I created for a story: Addy May. The character herself I've spent SO MANY HOURS on developing. She's kind of my pride and joy in my writing. Then I stuck Winchester on the end because of my love for Supernatural. So alas, I am the Addy Winchester you all know me as.

So how about you?

True story: this character was already made & named when I started to really play and she wasn't my favorite (*le gasp*). The person who created her had gotten 2 GW2 licenses so he could play many, many different characters. I have no idea why he named her this way. Ask Cpt von Fouffypants (and THAT name is a whole story in itself hahaha!)

Mashed random buttons. Merforga was originally a concept hero commander for an Alaitoc Eldar craft world army in the Warhammer 40k universe. Has been my game handle for pretty much everything since almost 20 years ago. 

Fun fact: I was pretty prominent in a small flash game community for a game called Tactics Arena Online. Some Canadian schmuck stole my name so there is a literal fake Canadian Merf floating around if you google and see weird stuff.

5 hours ago, Asian commander said:

Do I need to say much?

I don't get it...

1 hour ago, Erik said:

I am the most creative human being alive.

ArenaNet even named a Sylvari after me. He's the heart, but he's spelled "Alarin" you tell me.

Haha :P

I've been Meggly for a long time, just one of a number of possible nicknames when your name is Meg. I struggle to name characters which is why you will often find me on meggly or megglie or Meg Gly or megglybyte or a range of other Meg based names. I'm creative in many things but naming characters during character creation not so much. Want me to write a story and come up with names, no problemo, but at character creation in game apparently  I just freeze.

I've only gone by Lim since Black Desert was released, in which I needed a name for my ranger elf; and my original name made absolutely no sense so i went with Limyrith. Liked the name, and made a Mesmer with the same name,. It's been my main character/play style since.

Before Lim, I was known by a few LoL names, 3 of which were high elo and 1 low elo to drag my friends out of silver with. I've since quit LoL and had way less headaches.

Before that even, I've cycled through over a dozen names starting with Audion over 13 years ago.

I used to go by Laya before I took up Addy. In GW1 and any other game prior to like 3 years ago, I was Laya. (Hence my account name)

I always had random names I thought of (ex: my character names Kiahll, Csayn, Anrol, Emnys, Sildun, Plassa, Orcean, Galia, Crykten) but decided to stick with one after a few years. I decided shortly after the release of portal, so guess what I chose. Dre comes from my name. Im starting to think in future games I'll have to switch to poopcake though...

1 hour ago, Drecake said:

. Im starting to think in future games I'll have to switch to poopcake though...

HELL YEAH YOU SHOULD :))))))))))))))))))))))

Inari and Addy with you foooooreeeeeeeveeeeeeeeer.

"Inari Kamihara" was a Canthan warrior that I had in Guild Wars: Factions. Since at the time, I had thought they were asking me to provide a character name from the account I was linking, well... that just happened to be the one I chose.

well, When I played Everquest, I was Wompound. So I went to GW1 and made a Rit named that. Hated it. (it was before the Rit got o.p.) Then made a monk named Seyo Verde. I was taking Spanish 2 at the time. Later, with Nightfall, I liked the concept of leadership with the Paragon but not the class itself. So i ended up with Commander Seyo, Admiral Seyo, General Seyo AND DELETED THEM ALL. Then I made the Ranger, Captain Seyo. It was around the time that farming the Tomb of Primevil Kings was big and I enjoyed it. He would also start my eye-patch trend. I would end up with Captain Seyo, Seyo Verde, Seyo Azul, Seyo Spirit, Seyo Moors.........Olivia Eryx and Ziva Frost. (who would make it into gw2 as Eryx Tolvanera, Olivia Soden and ....... Ziva Frost)

Kind of silly backstory to the Ballor name I use everywhere -

I used to be very into Runescape, and part of the game is the Fremennik area where the game assigns you a second "name". Happened to be that I rolled Ballor, and it was available to be taken. I've used some variant as a handle every since.

When I lived among the cannibals of Papua New Guinea they named me Xangxa (the X is pronounced as a harsh KH sound) because I was so tall -- Xangxa means "The Big One." Although I jokingly tell people it would now mean "feeds family of 8" since I'm no longer the beanpole of my youth.  I've always gone by Xangxa when it's anything adventurous, including exploring worlds like GW2. Because people mispronounce Xangxa, I substitute Khangga for my characters' in-game first names.