Sign in to follow this  
Srouc

Discord Suggestion

As someone who has been using Discord since it's release, I can say that, yes it is a great alternative to Skype, Curse, Razor comms, etc. However, hating TS for most of my life, and coming into it from Discord.. I can say it's definitely more reliable. Not to mention only that it's guaranteed that we have a channel running (as long as premiums paid) where as Discord periodically kills channels from their servers when larger channels require more space. 

This meaning; Discord has a tendency to make channels unavailable on their servers if larger groups require more space labelled as "temporary server outage"... and anyone using discord long enough will tell you having experienced it; it's painful as heck when your busy trying to talk to people and *poof* implosion of server.

Not trying to down vote the idea of discord, however in its current server state if we can't be guaranteed up-time, doing the paid service seems more logical. Maybe in the future if their server problems get fixed, or if large communities can get a reserved slot based on active members so that they dont get service interruption, then it might be a more logical time to swap over towards it.

Note: I'm not bashing discord, and not saying their servers suck, however, outages happen with their service, and for the size of slots we need, as well as the functionality we require to run events daily, having the outages would be very problematic if they were to happen.

As a plus side though, they do have functionality through website, and app, which is great. though push to talk is only app... open mic is eww.

Benefits of Discord:

-Nice GUI

-Easy setup and maintaining

-simplistic server/voice/text set up

-easy ranking system

-Voice by default is clear

-ability to share links like story/news articles and have a preview before clicking links

-ability to view linked images/upload them directly to the client instead of only linking

- easier controls for peer voice levels, as well as server levels... no longer do you have to hear "x" user(s) Tv(s)

-New: Personal voice calls from peer-to-peer

Set Backs of Discord:

-outages: not many people see them, though when they happen, its really inconvenient.

-Text chats can become overwhelming to the people that have access to history logs... painfully so. (999+ messages later...)

-It's new, and still buggy, though the Dev's are great at bug smashing and posting updates.

-"it's new".. face it.. people want things that are tried, tested and true. I've tried pushing communities towards it in the past, but people seem against it because it's not something they've had since August 26 2002. (TeamSpeak launch date.)

So i'll say it once again, personally i love Discord, though for the size of the community TTS runs, it doesn't seem like the most appropriate change at the current state of it. However in the future; that could very well change.

What Lim said. We're potentially looking at discord for out of game text comms for interested members but due to the large number of slots required for our peak times, discord doesn't quite meet the requirements. For smaller guilds it's a great alternative, but for large groups, Teamspeak is still solid for our uses and provides a lot more control than discord does. 

On 10/16/2016 at 5:53 PM, Merforga said:

What Lim said. We're potentially looking at discord for out of game text comms for interested members but due to the large number of slots required for our peak times, discord doesn't quite meet the requirements. For smaller guilds it's a great alternative, but for large groups, Teamspeak is still solid for our uses and provides a lot more control than discord does. 

I would rather use Discord as a communication via out of game type thing rather than use it for voice.  We have teamspeak for voice stuff, but discord makes it easier to share things with one another.

Besides with Discord I can still talk in chat when I'm not at home.  I can't exactly do that with my phone on Teamspeak :(

I'm not at all saying let's ditch Teamspeak for Discord, hell no.. Just saying discord at least chat wise.. is far superior, but voice for Teamspeak has way better control.

Edited by Vegeta