Dewar

Gear Requirements

I've only been playing for a year and a half or so, and there was a good chunk in the middle there where I didn't play much. Up until now, I've my full set of exotics have been enough to carry me through any content I've wanted to do in the game so far (namely zone meta events, story missions, and world bosses.) I'm vaugely aware that later fractals require agony infusions, which require ascended gear, but I otherwise though I was golden. Then this weekend I tried to join a raid training group and got pretty much laughed out of there.

I'm not looking for help gearing up. Discovering how to do these things and muddling my way through is part of the fun for me. I'm really just looking for a list of the things in GW2 i really shouldn't be trying until I get my legendary weapon and/or ascended armor. Basically looking to avoid embarrassment as I fiddle around with the LFG tool and try some things that I've been scared of up until now.

Exotics will you get through dungeons and open world just fine. As you said, fractals do require agony infusions, thus ascended gear, but you can still do the lower tier ones and slowly build up your +1's to eventually convert to higher tier infusions. If you're joining puggle raids, having full ascended is definitely the safest option. We do have training raids if you are keen to join. We just require you to have ascended trinkets(backpiece+amulet+accessories+rings) and weapons. Exotic armour is fine. Do read up on the role of your class and get the meta build for it, no point getting ascended but the wrong stats for what you're looking to do. Reading up on the starting bosses also helps to give you a vague idea of what you're going up against even though we will explain them at training. It's also possible for you to stat change your ascended weapons and armours now if you're not aware. So you could make an ascended weapon/armour with a cheap insignia then stat swap it to your desired stat. You'd have to check the prices of the insignia's though. 

Hey I was the commander on the raid i believe you are talking about, if you are the person you think you were, i was asking non teleportation squad (the raid guild) members to link a piece of armor(to show stats and runes) and a weapon (to show stats and sigils)what you linked was a wanderers sword, and armor with rata novus runes in, neither of those things are acceptable in a raid situation, exotic gear isnt the problem, you can raid comfortably in exotics if you are good, while we do highly prefer ascended gear as it provides a substantial stat increase we do not require anything more than weapons and trinkets or at least meta stats and builds. the issue was the gear you were running was not acceptable for raiding and also you essentially refused to communicate and i was unable to give you any information, I linked meta builds in the teamspeak and will again here http://qtfy.enjin.com/builds

if you want to come to training raids please look into these builds and rotations and try and match them as closely as you can.

No worries, I dropped from TS pretty quickly once I realized that I was under-classed at the time, so I probably didn't hear most of your suggestions. I was given the impression in my own Guild chat that it was going to be a no-prep sort of raid training, so I hadn't looked at any builds or anything beforehand, and wasn't really feeling like trying to re-spec on the fly to match up. At this point, I'll probably stick with lower level fractals and maybe some dungeons for now, and re-visit raids later once the money pressure of saving up for a legendary is gone and I can be a bit more flexible.