Sign in to follow this  
Erik

Forum Update

Hey guys,

The forums have undergone a pretty massive upgrade - I originally did not expect them to be down for this long, but such is life.

[KNOWN ISSUES]

• Resizing .GIF images in the profile menu will often result in the loss of the animation.
  • Chatbox fails to re-size properly dependent on resolution - meaning some messages cannot be seen. (Fine on mobile)
  • Temporarily disabling the chatbox due to a plethora of issues.

[PATCH NOTES]

Spoiler

Key Changes

• When your link auto-embeds in a post such as with an image, YouTube video, Twitter link, etc. an option will now display to revert the embed back to a plain text link if you do not want the embed.
  • New setting to disable embedding.
  • Facebook/Twitter integration improvements
  • If you are an administrator and encounter a system error, additional debug output will now display. Regular members will see the normal error message.
  • Custom Fields for Support Requests in Commerce now show on the front-end.
  • If an advertisement is set up with a main image, but not smaller images for tablets/mobiles, the ad would not show at all on tablets/mobiles. This has changed so the main image will display on all devices unless smaller images are provided.
  • Topics scheduled to automatically lock or unlock will now reflect this in the topic listing and when viewing the topic.
  • Placing a link to a Facebook status will embed when possible.
  • When viewing a report, the container (for example, the forum) the content is from is displayed.
  • Three character searches are now allowed in the Admin CP Live Search.
  • The Account Settings page now uses vertical rather than horizontal tabs to prevent overflow.
  • If Gravatar is enabled, and a user has not defined an profile photo, then their email address will be used to fetch from Gravatar unless explicitly set not to.
  • Gfycat embeds now use their oEmbed endpoint rather than their JS API.
  • Using Amazon CloudFront as https provider will now be recognized as valid secure connection.
  • The member REST API endpoint will now return custom fields.
  • The Developer Center for Plugins now shows the filename in the list of hooks, and when editing a hook, a breadcrumb includes a link back to the list.
  • Inline notifications can now be dismissed
  • Efficiency improvements to the search index
  • You can now close a poll independently of the topic
  • Some other stuff nobody cares about.

Please feel free to post here if you find an issue. I'm working to resolve all remaining issues today.

Was trying to login on mobile to say mobile chat box was viewable, but then noticed I couldn't actually click on anything. Not the News section, status posts, login drop down menu, nothing.

On Windows 8 Phone at the moment if that means anything.

24 minutes ago, MasterOfSwordsmen said:

Was trying to login on mobile to say mobile chat box was viewable, but then noticed I couldn't actually click on anything. Not the News section, status posts, login drop down menu, nothing.

On Windows 8 Phone at the moment if that means anything.

Phone model?

Windows 8 phone still using Internet Explorer?

I've also just disabled the chatbox, perhaps try again?

Sorry ment that the text wrapping wasn't an issue when I could see it.

Lumia 640 XL. Still using IE.

Just loaded it back up, forgot this was another issue I was seeing: forum sections are incredibly slow at loading. Can see down to GW2 Taco stand - general chat, but then cuts off. A few minutes on the page and the rest loads in at once.

5 min after refreshing still loading it all. Seems the issue with none of it being clickable is based around loading in.

Tried other browsers, they were garbage and locked up xD

48 minutes ago, MasterOfSwordsmen said:

Sorry ment that the text wrapping wasn't an issue when I could see it.

Lumia 640 XL. Still using IE.

Just loaded it back up, forgot this was another issue I was seeing: forum sections are incredibly slow at loading. Can see down to GW2 Taco stand - general chat, but then cuts off. A few minutes on the page and the rest loads in at once.

5 min after refreshing still loading it all. Seems the issue with none of it being clickable is based around loading in.

Tried other browsers, they were garbage and locked up xD

Really having trouble replicating this issue. Loaded up an emulator of the Lumia 640 XL - base, and utilizing IE on Windows Phone 8 - it still loaded quickly. I decided to boot up some other emulators and use PageSpeed Insights and still am getting a total load time of 2.3s (.89 seconds after cached)

The only thing I could think is that when attempting to write to your phones cache, the process is failing. I'll keep researching, but using my Samsung Galaxy S5, and my old Lumia 920 - the page renders correctly and quickly.

As an aside, you did remind me to do some optimization. Cut down our page weight by about ~1mb... which is quite significant.

You not being able to click anything is tied into the page waiting to be fully loaded. I can explain it, if you want, but I doubt you want that :x.

Let me know if that helped at all. I'm quite curious as to what the issue may be.

Dumb question but.. I didn't see the option for.. "New setting to disable embedding."

I see where I can choose to paste as text, but not an option to completely disable embedding all together.

4 hours ago, Vegeta said:

Dumb question but.. I didn't see the option for.. "New setting to disable embedding."

I see where I can choose to paste as text, but not an option to completely disable embedding all together.

When pasting a link into the editor, you hit space and it will auto-embed.

Below that, near the "Drag files here to attach" you will see an option to "undo" the embedding of that object. The new setting to disable embedding is in the admin control panel, which is for me. It's not a per-user option. You do have the option to embed or paste as a plain link as explained below.

Like so:

6f866a440878a035747ce5e2280b6d11.png

10 hours ago, MasterOfSwordsmen said:

Oh I'm interested in this as well so unless it'd take too long to type out, I'd like to hear actually xD no worries otherwise. Gonna try a couple things on my end tomorrow and see what happens.

So, as the page loads - things come in "streams" of data.

You can see it here: 

0ec7d142a7214b0d259d1185cb7a78e0.png

When your client begins downloading the website, each request is sent and retrieved by your browser. When your browser fails to retrieve certain assets such as .js files and the alike (which are frontloaded, which often causes the page to take some time to render, we could speed the process of rendering the page up if we move js content below the fold (render things off the screen later) which would give us marginal improvements.) you will often receive blank pages or half-rendered pages that don't allow you to click on certain objects. This is because the browser is waiting for those objects so that it knows what to do and what you're asking for. It's especially important that those are in place because many of the .js and .php files tell and direct the server on what to do and what you're asking for.

Certain items like .php files will control how/when you receive content based on what you click. When you click on a thread a .php file is requested which then sends another request to the Database to fetch that item so that it can be rendered in your browser. When those files are yet to be retrieved and are still "missing" the page will often hang and sit there, failing to load. Until your browser receives those files, the web-page is only loading the .css and other stylesheet information until it can put into place what it needs to understand what you want it to do.

As you can see above, the total time to render the entire page was 1.23s (1.32s on final load) and is roughly 5.4 seconds below the average time it takes to render a web-page (I.E our render times are much faster than most). Our page size is also 755.3 KB, which is 1.1 MB smaller than the average. The amount of requests (39) is 30 less than the average (69). Pageload times right now have an average of 1.1s with a spike of 3.2s (I had to restart the server to apply some patches to back-end systems and work on some other issues)

As for your issue, it's beyond me why your ISP/Browser is struggling to pull these items. IPS 4 (while a bit rough around the edges right now) is tested for browser compatibility. Our metrics as well as other emulated tests show that the content is being delivered in a timely fashion and is most definitely reaching most browsers (our page stats got reset with the rebuild, so we see when people are receiving the content in real time atm. as the stats are logged) and is doing so in a timely fashion. (roughly 2s faster than the previous setup). In fact, pulling the stats right now we can see what browsers most are using and some other useful information.

4e775b7300bc76a1b02b31d482d84d45.png

Most notably is that someone is actually using Netscape 5.0 (ayy, it was me to test if it would render, it did.) Moreover, it also shows that those using Internet Explorer are receiving pages and are rendering those pages.

It also shows that Google Chrome is still the king of browsing, and Firefox died off quite heavily.

1 hour ago, Spear Of Flame said:

By chance, any ETA on the chatbox returning?

Not ATM.

The chatbox is developed by someone else, so I have to go through his entire project and find out why text-wrapping is working on mobile versions, but not on PC versions.

37 minutes ago, Erik said:

Not ATM.

The chatbox is developed by someone else, so I have to go through his entire project and find out why text-wrapping is working on mobile versions, but not on PC versions.

Ok thanks.  Just take your time with it, no rush.