Kantriakhor

TTS Suggestion Box

If you have any ideas that you feel merit discussion, feel free to post them here!

Note: Ideas posted here may not ever be implemented, posting here does guarantee feedback. Replies to any post *must* quote the post to keep the thread somewhat legible and *must remain on topic to the post quoted. Any reply by a member of leadership does not mean they represent anyone other than themselves. This is purely a place for anyone in the community to float their ideas out there for public consumption.

Have fun!

So much likes, so much potential- yet quiet as the grave in here. I really think Kantri that it's due in part because of your Colin avatar >_>,

That being said, since no one's really wanting to drop in any suggestions here and I might as well start with a big bomb because I know there have many confabulated, war-gripping, exaggerated, feels-bad-mans feelings regarding the fricking TS Icons. So why not talk about doing a HUGE FRICKING ICON OVERHAUL.

- Have everyone who want's an icon on Teamspeak to be a forum member, cause it seems that anyone who really gives a hoot are going to be here anyways.

- Have Teamspeak identity tied in with a forum account, so we know who's who and what's up.

- Make the Forum Account have some sort of 'Achievements' page which showcases EVERY ICON THEY'VE EVER EARNED - Leader or Not (preferably on their profile page)

- Request someone of Admin status on TS to display only 5 given icons so there's no overhaul of crazy 16-icon people.

What's that I hear about logistics? Sure you're combining two different platforms so bound to lose things on the way, sure people don't get to see the instant satisfaction of a gazillion icons attached to their Teamspeak. But what's the upside? Less TS Clutter, people have a venue to showcase their icon elitism, and theoretically you can have many many more icons. Heck have it so you can even compare - make it so the community votes on what sort of 'achievements' they want to track. But that's probably just me brainstorming over-the-top.

Sigh, even before I press the Submit button I can already tell what the general response is - too much administrative work, issues with e-peen, utility vs premise, limited TS Icon space.

Honestly I just think this kinda kills two birds with one stone, more incentive to attend raids and bolster more of a forum community that isn't all fluff.

We actually explored this a while ago to solve this conundrum, unfortunately from my understanding the technical functionality of such a thing (allowing certain icons / award cabinet thing)  was not readily available nor easily codable / integrated with the forum software. 

Could have changed since but @Erik is much more knowledgeable with this subject matter. 

10 hours ago, Irrell said:

What's that I hear about logistics? Sure you're combining two different platforms so bound to lose things on the way, sure people don't get to see the instant satisfaction of a gazillion icons attached to their Teamspeak. But what's the upside? Less TS Clutter, people have a venue to showcase their icon elitism, and theoretically you can have many many more icons. Heck have it so you can even compare - make it so the community votes on what sort of 'achievements' they want to track. But that's probably just me brainstorming over-the-top.

Sigh, even before I press the Submit button I can already tell what the general response is - too much administrative work, issues with e-peen, utility vs premise, limited TS Icon space.

Honestly I just think this kinda kills two birds with one stone, more incentive to attend raids and bolster more of a forum community that isn't all fluff.

Because logistics is a very real thing and has to be evaluated with every project. The reality is, all of those things are a problem. It's not too much administrative work, in fact Rachel did most of it with the rigged together system using subgroups. Ultimately, the forums being cluttered and loaded down with icons is entirely up to someone above my "pay-grade." I think everyone knows I'm against clutter on the forums because it reduces the user experience in my opinion, on top of that, page load times see exponential increases based off of how many dynamic icons are on a page. With each user having multiple badges and all of them being different. Caching because a different ball-game. Moreover, I also believe it quickly becomes a fight for icons more so than actual conversation. Here's an example of what I mean. Their users recently started complaining about it (hence the split of both groups now) which is a solution, but *shrug*.

a73b8cdd662d3fbf180153a8f48a88a1.thumb.p

As for Teamspeak Integration, yeah, that's a pretty big thing. You're talking authentication systems on both ends that aren't currently present, as well as database linking + updating. It's a lot of work, and isn't as simple as "just doing it"

9 hours ago, Merforga said:

We actually explored this a while ago to solve this conundrum, unfortunately from my understanding the technical functionality of such a thing (allowing certain icons / award cabinet thing)  was not readily available nor easily codable / integrated with the forum software. 

Could have changed since but @Erik is much more knowledgeable with this subject matter. 

The two things he linked are both outdated. I've been following some projects that others are working on, but they're all in alpha/infant stages.

The most complete one would be iAwards, you can peruse that here: https://invisionpower.com/files/file/7940-iawards/

I know nothing of how any of this works (technology challenged woo hoo!) but is there an option for people to put something like that in their "About Me" section in their profile? That way it isn't on the side like that picture, causing any clutter. Like, I have all my characters in game listed there. I don't know if this is plausible or even worth it or anything like that. Just a thought.

Pretty much what Addy said - There's nothing stopping people from adding icons to their sig/profile (account settings (or name then profile) -> edit profile -> about me) - not the same as TS but eh. If people need the icons, they're all in the handbook thread. Some have a white bg (image or CSS bg) to make them easier to see or were originally not transparent, though.

About me is also a good candidate for random doom/fun - looks like people would need to be have some HTML/CSS knowledge (<3 Source).

Better than laggy/cluttered forums \o/

1 hour ago, Gekk Exl said:

About me is also a good candidate for random doom/fun - looks like people would need to be have some HTML/CSS knowledge (<3 Source).

Never thought of adding them there ;D might as well go do et.

but yea going back to the icons I do feel like there should be some kind of limit in ts how many icons shows up because there are people who has a lot of them, not that its "bad" thing to have them only downside for that is its hard to see their names etc. Just like what irrell said above. I used to have like 7  icons before too so I kinda know how it was (speed diamonds and golds etc)

Also have you ever thought of adding sub groups for reflect and condi pros in the forums/website?  for example for people who aren't used those roles they could have a look at the list and perhaps ask those people if they need help with something or if they got any questions. Don't think it would hurt anyone. of course this could have its ups and downs though

But the thing is, you can always increase the size of your TS window and/or reduce/remove the right side thing to have it show more of a players name.   Haven't played too much with teamspeak settings, but is there way to not have them show on the client side (I know you can hide/show the country flag icon)?

On 3/16/2016 at 7:54 AM, Spear Of Flame said:

But the thing is, you can always increase the size of your TS window and/or reduce/remove the right side thing to have it show more of a players name.   Haven't played too much with teamspeak settings, but is there way to not have them show on the client side (I know you can hide/show the country flag icon)?

Generally, when designing something, you want the opposite.

Fluff should be purely optional, not mandatory. The user shouldn't have to go out of their way to make your product useful. 

Okay another suggestion cause forums have been quiet as heck and no one saying anything so...

What's the opinion behind a Commander/Member of the Month ? Of course there's the possibility of it just becoming a 'popularity' contest but it'll be something extra to work towards between commander's and member's.

Can always have CO's nominate leaders and it'll probably improve their morale/take feedback a little more seriously. 

No shiny badge or anything out of it. Can probably put it on the Leader's list on the forum:

February 2016: Fortis Arcana

(hue :P)

I'm not sure if this suggestion box is for site suggestions only, or what exactly, but a 24 hour TTS farming event would be pretty damn fun.  Like farm SW for 24 hrs straight, or Dry Top, or w/e you'd want to do really.  However if SW is chosen.  I recommend we use the Circle Strategy.  Find a fresh map, preferably one in time-out.  Once time-out is done, we capture Red, then move to Indigo to capture it, then Blue, then Amber.  And keep going in a circle.  We run back to red to kill like 10 mobs, move to indigo, kill about 10 mobs there, keep going around in a circle.  You get a lot more loot.  I've been doing SW for past few days.  Netted me around like 600g.

Anyways that's just an example.. lol

10 hours ago, Irrell said:

Okay another suggestion cause forums have been quiet as heck and no one saying anything so...

What's the opinion behind a Commander/Member of the Month ? Of course there's the possibility of it just becoming a 'popularity' contest but it'll be something extra to work towards between commander's and member's.

Can always have CO's nominate leaders and it'll probably improve their morale/take feedback a little more seriously. 

No shiny badge or anything out of it. Can probably put it on the Leader's list on the forum:

February 2016: Fortis Arcana

(hue :P)

Unless there is something to measure how well a commander is doing based off of statistic, then this can be a good suggestion. But without any concrete numbers and if based off of purely how likable a leader is, that is not a good idea, and like you said, it will become more of a popularity contest than anything else. For me, I don't care about these kind of things.

58 minutes ago, Vegeta said:

I'm not sure if this suggestion box is for site suggestions only, or what exactly, but a 24 hour TTS farming event would be pretty damn fun.  Like farm SW for 24 hrs straight, or Dry Top, or w/e you'd want to do really.  However if SW is chosen.  I recommend we use the Circle Strategy.  Find a fresh map, preferably one in time-out.  Once time-out is done, we capture Red, then move to Indigo to capture it, then Blue, then Amber.  And keep going in a circle.  We run back to red to kill like 10 mobs, move to indigo, kill about 10 mobs there, keep going around in a circle.  You get a lot more loot.  I've been doing SW for past few days.  Netted me around like 600g.

Anyways that's just an example.. lol

I don't know about 24 hours. It does put a strain on the members and the leaders. I know it is very easily done with pugs, but not everyone enjoys grinding for that long period. Maybe a 3-4 hour farm in each of the time zones, then maybe.  

7 hours ago, NexForce said:

Unless there is something to measure how well a commander is doing based off of statistic, then this can be a good suggestion. But without any concrete numbers and if based off of purely how likable a leader is, that is not a good idea, and like you said, it will become more of a popularity contest than anything else. For me, I don't care about these kind of things.

I don't know about 24 hours. It does put a strain on the members and the leaders. I know it is very easily done with pugs, but not everyone enjoys grinding for that long period. Maybe a 3-4 hour farm in each of the time zones, then maybe.  

Thats why once the ones that get bored, others will have logged in and can take over the farm.. keep it on a loop :D

On 3/18/2016 at 9:06 AM, NexForce said:

A lot of the times, companies acknowledge this and still do it anyway - it's purely subjective and is based upon the principle that people believe you to be doing a good job.

Of course it's a popularity contest. Perhaps I am confused as to why that is an issue.

Okay, since there hasn't been much suggestions in the past week thought I'd make an even bigger suggestion - at least in lieu of what I had envisioned the commander restructure going down.

I talked with Kantri and Spacey about the draft idea I had about over a score-keeping system that would encourage more people to step up for leading/engage in the community.

Think of it as a BARE BONES DKP system - not that you can spend them, just rank them up.

-------

So how would this work? Let all Commanding Officers/Commanders start from with ZERO.

There will be different tracks in which Admins/CO's would be responsible for updating.

I'll be using Tequatl for this example:

Every time a commander steps up to lead Tequatl (be it a CO/Commander/Community Member), we open the tracking spreadsheet and have a tick of who was commanding, which timezone it took place in,  what date it took. (Optional - which TTS guild they're in)

Eventually what you'd get is a database of how 'frequent' commanding officers/commanders/probies/community members are stepping up to leading Tequatl.

Now here's the fun part. You can start accumulating Dragon Kill Points (hence why bare bones DKP)

Let's say you've lead Tequatl 5 times, boom you get a bronze Teq icon (cause lets be honest, we're not going for speed kills)

Wow you've lead Teq 25 times? Silver icon

A grand whopping 50 Teqs?! Wooo GOLD.

Then save the Diamond for 100 Tequatl's .

You can even put limitations on this, icon is not available if they're not a member of TTS. It'd actually be something everyone can work towards across different timezones.

It'd be the responsibility of Admins/CO's to update the list.

At least this way instead of competing different time zones for speed kills you have a collective group of people stepping up working towards the fabled Platinum icon.

You could apply this to Triple Trouble for each wurm head, as well as the Condi/Reflect Training & Leaders.

King of the Jungle lnaes is another 4, Dragon Stand another 3. Also Shatterer Smash the Dragonz.

Heck if you even want can put this for successful training raid kills for each boss, or those who lead guild missions, or lead successful dungeon nights :P (pretty much any event TTS does)

These numbers are drafts and not final but it'll be interesting, you'd solve the commander issue by having more people step up, you'd get a more engaged community in people.

---------

EDIT: Wouldn't let me finish the damn post. Thanks forums.

Edited by Irrell

What I'm saying is that speed kills is too niche, there's too much difficulty tracking it with screenshots without having video recordings. Even then when we are tracking it becomes too much of a competition between time zones which leads to animosity between the timezones and leaders.

We have those icons gathering virtual  dust on Teamspeak that could be repurposed for this idea.

Dear Suggestion Box,

I would like to suggest adding in a "Past Commander"  group to the forums. This would show who's been a past commander/dedicated time to the guild. Maybe consider letting them be able to view the staff forum to continue to help out on all things TTS. 

PS:

Please leave food next to the suggestion box, so those writing a suggestion don't get hungry. My suggestion? Tacos.

1 minute ago, Celtic said:

Dear Suggestion Box,

I would like to suggest adding in a "Past Commander"  group to the forums. This would show who's been a past commander/dedicated time to the guild. Maybe consider letting them be able to view the staff suggestion to continue to help out on all things TTS. 

PS:

Please leave food next to the suggestion box, so those writing a suggestion don't get hungry. My suggestion? Tacos.

Personally, I'm not sure if having an Emeritus kind of tag would act as anything more than vanity and, knowing Ailarin, I think unless it has a use, he doesn't want to add stuff.

33 minutes ago, Kantriakhor said:

Personally, I'm not sure if having an Emeritus kind of tag would act as anything more than vanity and, knowing Ailarin, I think unless it has a use, he doesn't want to add stuff.

I wouldn't even want that trash forum group.

Kappa le xD