Sign in to follow this  
Jacobbs

Druid Healing Mechanics

Came off a training raid and it prompted me to make this short intro to druid healing mechanics. If you don't have the first clue about how druids work, this video is for you! If you know how druid healing works, you'll be in the know about how to get the healing you need to keep kicking ass.

This isn't a how2druid video, as I think there are other, better resources for that. As always, if you have any questions, feel free to ask.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wm2ZK2wrKhU

Gonna try to watch it after work since I've only unlocked the spec and never tried it, but looks like you got some thank yous on your reddit (https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/49uoai/guide_how_druid_healing_works_in_gw2_for_the/) thread. 

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/49uoai/guide_how_druid_healing_works_in_gw2_for_the/d0v1meo

Hey Jacobbs,

Curious why you would run quickdraw, and the Skirmshing line (which has little to help overall healing), over the extra survivability from Wilderness Survival as it seems more important to have the druid last than increase precision more (especially given the Herald and Warrior in most parties as standard and how perm Fury and war banners will already push crit over 100 for many party members running Berserker).  Also, for those of us that are poor, having two weapons to swap to with runes like that is fairly difficult (considering Transference is like 15g+).  I actually have axe/warhorn in alt slot for the purpose of building up regen while waiting before each run and can get it up to 2.5min worth and the regen ultimately helps build up Astral Force really fast so I am using Celestial Avatar on cooldown.

I have been running Beastmastery for a long time to help up my pets DPS some (since I have heard pets do more than the ranger anyhow) and make sure it stays alive as the F2 heal skill on Fern seems important as well.  Based on gw2skills.net, that extra heal to the pet does not seem to affect the heal of their F2 so considering moving to WS (just not a fan of that 60s internal cooldown on Shared Anguish but Slothasor seems to require that line unlike VG/Gorse).

P.S. Had not noticed seed cured conditions!  Thanks for that.  Gives me a better idea on when to use it and where.

19 hours ago, Pompeia said:

Hey Jacobbs,

Curious why you would run quickdraw, and the Skirmshing line (which has little to help overall healing), over the extra survivability from Wilderness Survival as it seems more important to have the druid last than increase precision more (especially given the Herald and Warrior in most parties as standard and how perm Fury and war banners will already push crit over 100 for many party members running Berserker).  Also, for those of us that are poor, having two weapons to swap to with runes like that is fairly difficult (considering Transference is like 15g+).  I actually have axe/warhorn in alt slot for the purpose of building up regen while waiting before each run and can get it up to 2.5min worth and the regen ultimately helps build up Astral Force really fast so I am using Celestial Avatar on cooldown.

I have been running Beastmastery for a long time to help up my pets DPS some (since I have heard pets do more than the ranger anyhow) and make sure it stays alive as the F2 heal skill on Fern seems important as well.  Based on gw2skills.net, that extra heal to the pet does not seem to affect the heal of their F2 so considering moving to WS (just not a fan of that 60s internal cooldown on Shared Anguish but Slothasor seems to require that line unlike VG/Gorse).

P.S. Had not noticed seed cured conditions!  Thanks for that.  Gives me a better idea on when to use it and where.

Quickdraw is incredibly important for the build he's running because it allows him to utilize weapon-swapping in order to place ancestral grace (and other staff skills) on a 66 percent reduced cooldown. This is increasingly important in the second raid as burst-healing is quite necessary. You'll also find that quick draw is increasingly useful for the Matthias fight. With this build, I generally have permanent Astral Force, and am just waiting for the cooldown to go off. It's also necessary for the 343 celestial avatar combo. 

We take the skirmishing line because it allows us to take Trapper's Expertise (for the reduced cooldown on our healing spring), Spotter for the increased precision on Allies (which can be up to 10 percent bonus damage) and of course Quickdraw for the reasons above. Doing so allows us to use other pets, such as the tiger, instead of the Fern Hound. Druid is about buffing other allies and ensuring they stay alive - not so much as our personal DPS. If your group is already pushing 100 percent crit chance, then switching to another trait-line is a possibility, but not recommended with the double staff build.

If you cannot afford transference, look into purchasing any of the following runes: Nullification, Water, Renewal.

Erik's covered it. Spotter and Quickdraw are bread and butter traits in PvE, the reduced cooldown on your skills is key to maintaining your healing. This particular druid build is all about team support, your DPS is irrelevant so running beast mastery over skirmishing makes very little sense. Spotter is an amazing team buff.