Jacobbs

Raid Gear Guide

[Updated March 27, 2016]

Here's my rough guide for meta stats for some common class roles that you'll want to consider:

General Power DPS

Berserker's (Zojja's) or Assassin's (Soros'/Saphir's) sets are likely the best choice for you. Generally, Runes of the Scholar are the best bet, but some classes may run other ones.

As of the latest update,

Elementalists - your best rune set is 6 of the Superior Rune of the Scholar

Revenants - your best rune set is also 6 of the Superior Rune of the Scholar

For elementalists, you'll want full Berserker's armor and trinkets with Assassin's weapons.

For revenants, you'll want full Berserker's armor and trinkets with Berserker's weapons.

General Condition DPS

Most meta builds will recommend and rely on a combination of Sinister's (Verata's) and Viper's (Yassith's) sets. Single condition builds generally rely on condition specific duration sigils and traits, which frees up armor to run Sinister; however, most builds will be likely to run much more Viper's than Sinister's. This will vary based on which class you are running, so please look it up! Just a note, if you cant run Sinster (Verata) or Viper (Yassith) - RUN RAMPAGERS. Toughness is not ideal unless you are also the tank.

Here is a general rule of thumb for gearing condition DPS:

1. Check your traits & runes and don't forget to factor in food and utility to make sure you will be getting the condition duration from those places.
  2. Are you at 95% condition duration or above on your main condition?
    • If yes: run Sinister's or another comparable stat set (Rampagers) for your armor, weapons and trinkets.
    • If no: add a piece of Viper gear (armor or weapons first), repeat step 2.
      • You want to prefer armor and weapons before dipping into your trinkets - this is because viper's amulets and back pieces are difficult to get and viper's ascended accessories do not currently exist (exotic ones do, however, if needed)

For condition builds without access to duration traits (condi druid is one of these), most duration will come from gear. In this case, you'll want to run 4 Nightmare and 2 Trapper runes (this gives you 25% duration; 15 from Nightmare, 10 from Trapper).

For condition builds with access to duration traits, you will likely be running Superior Runes of the Berserker, but always check!

Healing and Support Roles

Druid - Magi's (Hronk's) is going to be your best bet. Alternatively, you'll want to run Zealot's (Keeper's). Magi's is cheaper than Zealot's so get that. If you really are in a crunch, Berserker's is a very poor, but do-able choice. While Cleric's is a set that is sometimes recommended, I do not recommend this, as it necessitates your tank running much more toughness than is ideal. I say again, if you are serious about raiding on a healing druid, do not run Cleric's armor and weapons. You'll want a full set of Superior Rune of the Monk from Ascalonian Catacombs.

Elementalist - For an auramancer I would recommend either (1) Zealot's (Keeper's) armor & weapons with Berserker's (Zojja's) trinkets OR (2) full berserker armor and trinkets with an assassins weapon set. Option 1 is an investment that won't see much use, frankly, so I recommend option #2. So far, the usecases for an auramancer build are as a secondary healer, not as a main.

Chronomancer - The meta armor for mesmers (even though their DPS isn't great) is Assassin's (Soros'/Saphir's) due to the base critical chance being the way mesmer phantasms can assist with DPS. The best rune set, as of update, is 6 of the Superior Rune of the Chornomancer. Another option for Chronomancers is full Commander's (Tizlak's) armor and weapons - this set has toughness which puts you in the role of Chronotank. The boon duration is handy for attaining high boon duration without relying on a revenant in the party, but be mindful of the toughness this set has. Unless you are in Wing 2, or playing Chronotank, you will likely want to stay in the Assassin's set. For the Commander's set, the rune set of choice is Chronomancer runes: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vhAQRAse8dnsICFoh9fCmfCUrhlnjCdx+gH7sACgDr+PT0FF-TRSBQBXU5gHOJAHU9nrokwMKBBwTA4f7PQGlY3T/ApA+aYE-e

Runes

Please consult outside sources to find out which rune set is competitive/meta. I've included only a few, as I do not know the other classes well enough to make recommendations with confidence.

Edited by Jacobbs

55 minutes ago, Ivan Truthe said:

As an Auramancer for some of the groups (one main healer, others support), I can say that I prefer Zealot weapons over Berserker because you do need the healing power to help with heals.

My rationale is this: if you're running an auramancer, the party support is not as important (druid is a better healer almost every time). The auramancer is a hybrid healer with DPS, and should only be run in a groups that can manage with a hybrid healer. That being said, the group should not need to rely on the extra healing power that Zealot's brings.

15 hours ago, Ivan Truthe said:

If you want DPS with little extra healing, then I would advice keeping it all Berserker/Assassin.  The amount of raw healing that you can do with a Tempest is already pretty high by default.

Yea, what's what I'm saying. The auramancer healer presumes already that your party is good enough to run without a druid healer (the druid heals are more active and bursty, so they are better for groups that don't have their ducks in a row) and so the extra healing stats are wasted because you might as well get on a druid to heal.

You should probably include the easiest method to earn a exotic armor + Ascended weapons/trinkets set consult this: https://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Equipment_acquisition_by_stats

Ascended trinkets:

DPS + Healing  Trinkets

Amulet: Laurel Vendor

Rings: Laurel Vendor + 10 Pristine Fractal relics in FoTM

Accessories: 12 Guild Commendations each or Laurel Vendor (needs ectos, expensive)

Condition damage Trinkets

Sinister: Complete Living World season 2 achievements + buy from Badges vendor in Silverwastes (must have all Living world season 2 unlocked/purchased :/ )

Viper: Can get amulet from completing chapter 4 achievements in Heart of Thorns story, can craft exotic vipers as a jewelcrafter with recipes in Auric basin. No method of getting ascended reliably yet :/

Rampagers: Same as DPS Trinkets acquisition methods (not recommended)

Armor:

Berserker:

Exotic: Crafting, Karma set from Grenth's Temple in Orr, WvW Badges, Dungeon tokens

Ascended: Crafting (recipes from main merchant)

Assassins

Exotic: Crafting

Ascended: Crafting (recipes from main merchant)

Magi:

Exotic: Crafting, Karma set from Grenth's Temple in Orr,  Dungeon tokens

Ascended: Crafting (recipes from main merchant)

Sinister 

Exotic: Crafting (recipes from Silverwastes + Trading post)

Ascended: Crafting (recipes from Silverwastes + Trading post)

Vipers

Exotic: Crafting (recipes from Auric Basin + Trading post, EXPENSIVE), Reward for beating HoT story step "bitter harvest" one piece per clear

Ascended: Crafting (recipes from Silverwastes + Trading post), cheaper to make alt set and convert it to Vipers in mystic forge

Rampagers

Exotic: Crafting, Karma set from Grenth's Temple in Orr, Dungeon tokens

Ascended: Crafting (recipes from main merchan

Ascended weapons:

Any method is crafting, Sinister and Viper stat sets need recipes from Silverwastes and Auric Basin respectively.

If you read this list and went "Wait for Condi-users everything is more time consuming and expensive" I would reply, "Yep, it's kinda BS" 

Commander's gear is also recommended for Chronotank, by the way. The recipes for the insignia/inscription are purchased from the Crystalline Ore vendor at the end of Dragon's Stand after you kill the Mouth of Mordremoth.

1 hour ago, Inari said:

Commander's gear is also recommended for Chronotank, by the way. The recipes for the insignia/inscription are purchased from the Crystalline Ore vendor at the end of Dragon's Stand after you kill the Mouth of Mordremoth.

I'm curious to see how the alacrity nerf will impact chronomancer tanking. But yes, you are right. However, I don't make the recommendation explicit here because, in my opinion, a chronomancer tank takes a high skill level to run proficiently - and I would likely only recommend experienced chronomancers run it. The catch-22 of "experience required, how2get experience" is real.

A strategy I used was to gear up my off class (in this case, a chronomancer) and start to PUG raids or look around for people I knew that needed people for raiding. I would give them the appropriate heads up that I was not on my main class and that I was learning, and would always offer to switch to one of my main classes if I was not up to par/pulling my own weight. This is a great way to learn how to play off classes if you have the kind of friend network to support it.

On 1/14/2016 at 2:54 PM, Jacobbs said:

Just a note, if you can't craft sinister/vipers (I understand it's expensive) RUN RAMPAGERS instead!!!! Don't run Dire or Rabid, the toughness is useless and better spent on another stat!

I'd like to say.. TOUGHNESS IS EVEN BAD. Don't make life difficult on your tank.

Also keep in mind that the Adept Minor Trait "Determined Revival" in the Tactics line (which is what PS warrior revolves around, and you can't opt to go without it even if you wanted to) increases Toughness by 400, and that spike can draw aggro onto you and whomever you are resurrecting, which will easily kill you both and potentially wipe the entire raid.

I would like to point out that 1-2 pieces of Rabid gear is good if you are a Condi tank (it is a thing, they use just enough to make sure they keep aggro, I have seen a few engineers do it). Otherwise, yes, avoid it like the plague.

12 hours ago, Menoitios said:

I would like to point out that 1-2 pieces of Rabid gear is good if you are a Condi tank (it is a thing, they use just enough to make sure they keep aggro, I have seen a few engineers do it). Otherwise, yes, avoid it like the plague.

Yep.

Roles that need toughness: tanking. Otherwise, with current raid content, there is no point to running toughness if you can help it (ie, rampagers over dire/rabid). Even then, condi tanks ought to run mostly vipers armor, with rabid weapons and trinkets for enough rabid to take aggro. Once you're top toughness, the rest should be invested in sinister.

Edited by Jacobbs

Thought I'd add a note here as my group pushes through wing 2.

For the most part, the principles of gearing are similar for the regular fights, but seem to leave a bit more room for defensive stats in the meta. In particular, those having trouble staying alive on power DPS classes may opt for some Marauder's armor which is Berserker with a little bit of Vitality. For regular clears (ie, not achievements), I believe that Marauders would be an acceptable choice.

Unfortunately for condition based builds, it seems as if a combination of Viper's and Sinister's remains your go to option.

As always, if you have any questions, feel free to whisper me; I am happy to answer questions.

Right now i'm using my engi bombs, grenade, and flamethrower using sinister asc armor in fractal to learn how to play it.

Do you have any suggestion i should use or which item i should get like runes, sigil, or other stats i should mix with sinister as engi condi, power, precision?

Right now i'm using berserker superior runes, superior sigil of accuracy and malice on pistol/pistol, the rest of my items are sinister stats

Edited by Swishee

15 hours ago, Swishee said:

Right now i'm using my engi bombs, grenade, and flamethrower using sinister asc armor in fractal to learn how to play it.

Do you have any suggestion i should use or which item i should get like runes, sigil, or other stats i should mix with sinister as engi condi, power, precision?

Right now i'm using berserker superior runes, superior sigil of accuracy and malice on pistol/pistol, the rest of my items are sinister stats

Conditioneers should be running full sinister accessories with all Viper's armor and weapons.

Runes should be 6x Superior Rune of the Berserker and you should be running Superior Malice and Geomancy runes.

3 hours ago, Jacobbs said:

Conditioneers should be running full sinister accessories with all Viper's armor and weapons.

Runes should be 6x Superior Rune of the Berserker and you should be running Superior Malice and Geomancy runes.

Oh, so i need to change my sinister armor and weapon into viper. And overlap the geomancy on accuracy sigil.