The forums have been disabled and archived as of 1/13/2019. They will remain here for the time being so that you may gather past conversations. Please contact an administrator if you need any assistance.

Merforga

2016 and the Year Ahead for TTS

52 minutes ago, Irrell said:

I'm just going to put this here. @Diviner

I know many who will voice this as well.

Edit: The reason I'm putting this here was also to highlight Jacob's post regarding NA calibre. 

As an example of what? Putting in way more than the minimum? Someone who did their requirements while NA leaders who were online were treating events as bonus nights off and organizing things at the same time under the TTS banner instead of assisting with scheduled events?  @Ivan Truthe knows what I mean here.  Various leaders have stepped down up front when they felt they could no longer fulfill their commitments. Some in advance, others long past when they'd stopped fulling them. 

Icons are a red herring. Its really not about that. Fundamentally my disappointment is with the disparity between your original post in January and this one. It sounded like you were going to take the opportunity to subdivide according to roles and have requirements be something that reflected those roles accordingly. No 2IC leaves you without a clear leadership structure. You've increased overhead where I felt you could have refined the leadership to those who were performing highly.  You do not need more people toggling people from inactive to active. You don't need more people being chat police. Those are the only logistical reasons I see for 'Administrators' to be in more than one TTS guild. You need people willing to step up and run events in their timezone. There aren't many people who do TTS events outside their timezone. Commanders should have no problem keeping up with active-status for their own guild, and admins can get stuff when no one else is on. I fully expect there to be enough commander coverage that at least one is on per guild in the timezone. You need an appropriate leader to member ratio in each timezone. Otherwise you wind up with what we had before where it felt like we were getting leaders based not on their skill, professionalism, or any trait I'd consider valuable in leadership, only because we needed warm bodies.  NA Prime (reset) shed most of its leaders to Pacific where there's hardly any member base, while NA recently had to decide what they're doing for the evening based on how many leaders show up.

Umm... commander officers?    We're the rank that takes care of our timezones commanders.  Then we have admins, who take care of certain roles that need to be done outside of just commanding at raids.  Much like the previous council,  but instead of throwing all the work on council it's spread out evenly.   As far as I've known there's never been a 2IC and it's something new,  outside of maybe the earliest days of TTS.   I'm not sure how you can say that leaves us without a clear leadership structure when we've had one for 2+ years without a 2IC.

We also already have a secondary commander position,  it's people willing to step up.   I've said numerous times at Pacific that if people want to step up they can poke us,  or we even ask openly in the teamspeak.  We've had community nights with 7 leaders (including probies) in the channel.  The only difference is there isn't an icon.   None of this is saying,  "we don't need you anymore or appreciate what you've done for the community".   That couldn't be further from the truth.

Also,  to clear some air.   The only 2 former leaders at Pacific are myself and Logan.  I also was never an NA leader.  I was an EU one until I got a new job that made it so I'd have to wake up at 7am on weekends to attend.   The other 2 were probies,  one that received probie status Thursday night.  The other being Kyzarin,  who applied to NA because Pacific wasn't a timezone,  but made clear he wished to be a Pacific Probie when it became an official timezone.   So,  the only person Pacific took from NA is Logan, who volunteered to be Pacific (so no one thinks we forced him to do it).    The other leaders that attend do so on their own decisions,  but their timezones,  outside the 4 I mentioned,  are not Pacific.

Also,  despite how you may view it,  we've never accepted a leader application because "we needed more leaders".   We have a process with the application and if we believe they have the potential and are a good fit,  we move the application along.  If not,  it gets declined.   

Lastly,  I can understand how some people may dislike the new system.   But the purpose is to get commanders to be more included into TTS than before.  Not to throw them aside.    The 2 guild slots is to fill that role of having multiple "leaders" per guild to do active status and answering questions.

yea as stated. I see no issue in having a new policy for NEW people to become commanders or leaders or whatever you want to call them. But at least recognize those who were active commanders in the past (who actively lead and helped, not who just got a tag and have not done anything in forever) and don't make them start all over again.

I can't imagine that this would have been overlooked  if all current leaders had to re-do the whole application process to become leaders again, and not just us lowly commanders.

**Also, can there please be some clarification on the "commander" in the first post, it states these will be ppl who just want to do events 2x a week... then in the 2nd follow up post it stated that these will be the new "leaders".. which one is it?

I'll weigh in briefly (attempt to) - but I know that this will be a long post regardless. Ultimately, I don't represent TTS (despite the name tag, I only make sure things don't explode around here.)

Lets talk briefly about the new system, primarily because it was the thoughts of both Kantriakhor and I. We wanted to address multiple things with this overhaul, and our purposes were always pure intention wise. It upsets me that some think we stripped your commander tag away without thought or even regard as to how you would feel about it. Many of you voiced to us previously how the removal of icons had always been handled poorly. We knew that going into this, it would most likely be a concern, and unfortunately it was almost a necessary evil. The evolution of the leader position into commander made sense to us. It simplifies two things. One, the tiered leadership. Two, the requirement that many felt was far too much to being a TTS volunteer. 

Ultimately, many of you have also voiced the two-guild requirement. Kantriakhor and I did not see this as a deal-breaker, but after viewing many of your opinions and counter-arguments, I can very much understand that dedicating two guild slots is a large commitment, one that we did not consider. I can also understand the counter-argument, but I am inclined to agree. The system was meant to open up volunteer-ship to a larger amount of people - the two guild requirement seems almost necessary now, but if the system garnishes new recruits as it was intended to, I am sure that Merforga would be keen to lowering the requirement to one guild. However, I would ask that some of us understand that currently, as it stands with the low amount of commanders, it's simply a necessity. There are some requirements - especially with any volunteer position. It almost seems as if many believe they are entitled to something with giving very little.

21 minutes ago, Liara Wolfsbane said:

yea as stated. I see no issue in having a new policy for NEW people to become commanders or leaders or whatever you want to call them. But at least recognize those who were active commanders in the past (who actively lead and helped, not who just got a tag and have not done anything in forever) and don't make them start all over again.

I can't imagine that this would have been overlooked  if all current leaders had to re-do the whole application process to become leaders again, and not just us lowly commanders.

**Also, can there please be some clarification on the "commander" in the first post, it states these will be ppl who just want to do events 2x a week... then in the 2nd follow up post it stated that these will be the new "leaders".. which one is it?

Commander is the new leader role. There is no longer a leader role. All current leaders have been transitioned into the commander rank. Subsequently, commanders have been upgraded and now have more permissions. As for those who were active commanders before-hand, I am sure this can only be considered a bonus if you wish to apply. Moreover, you confided to me that you were worried about some things within the old leadership structure that both Kantriakhor and I brainstormed to resolve. I think perhaps you are misconstruing the changes. I understand your frustrations, but your conversations with me were fuel for these ideas. Leadership didn't have to reapply because the role had been renamed and condensed. Nobody is referring to the old commanders as "lowly" - this was never the intention. It wasn't meant as a move of disrespect, merely necessity.

So, lets talk about this idea that the days of old were some golden era that never had issues. Many of us are looking at the 2014 era with the most rose-colored glasses I could ever conceive. Things weren't perfect, and the idea that some vacuum of leadership was created when Zarzag stepped down is just wrong and naive at best. This idea that TTS leadership was of the utmost quality and inspired some of the greatest leaders ever imaginable is just laughable. I'm not saying that old leadership was bad - but the system that was being utilized rewarded people for the wrong reasons and left those who were dedicating countless of hours of their time, passion and commitment in the dirt. The old system (council appointed by Zarzag/Merf) had numerous flaws and was subsequently replaced by the democratic process. This wasn't sustainable any longer due to the loss of interest in the content TTS offered. Many are looking at this entirely wrong.

The new system is meant to inspire creation of a community. I think everyone understands that ArenaNet's new motive is to make content accessible for everyone. I would be quite surprised if we have another Triple Trouble calibre event. The key to survival is to work together and inspire people to step up. 

That was the intention and as such it's the way it remains. I can't attest to the idea that TTS recruited based upon a lack of leadership, when I was a council member, we never even considered this a possibility - though I do know there is contention in the community that some leaders were lacking in the tactics department. 

Anyway, back to lurking and working on stuff. I can maybe pop back in if anyone has some questions that I might be able to answer, but I generally want to stay out of this as I'm sure things were changed between the time Kantri/I voiced these ideas to Merf, and the implementation.

I think people may be looking at this with the wrong, or at least unintended perspectives. The idea with the new system was to take the admin out of commanding. Having an admin role is more of a commander putting their hand up rather than it being forced upon them. However to think that as a commander you wouldn't have to do ANY admin is naive. Rep checks are something EVERY commander must do as are mediating the masses. Otherwise what would happen if an admin wasn't online? You will still be responsible for PR reporting issues and making sure the conduct of the members is true to TTS's core values. This isn't a "give a little and get a lot of respect/free stuff" kind of deal. Commanders, regardless are in a position of leadership, of power and of responsibility. You wouldn't go into a job and be like "i don't want to work 3 days so instead I'm going to work 1" to your boss. Likewise your boss is t going to go up to you and be like "you've done nothing but stand around the water cooler all day and tell people what to do so here's a raise." Commanders volunteer their time to give to members and as they are in the limelight will always have responsibility to represent the guild, this includes "admin" work. Some of us just opt to do more. If this seems blunt that's because it is blunt, what power does a TS icon give you? You can still come on and command whenever you like. The icon didn't give you the power to do that, to think otherwise is simply vanity. 

~Byte

31 minutes ago, Byter said:

I think people may be looking at this with the wrong, or at least unintended perspectives. The idea with the new system was to take the admin out of commanding. Having an admin role is more of a commander putting their hand up rather than it being forced upon them. However to think that as a commander you wouldn't have to do ANY admin is naive. Rep checks are something EVERY commander must do as are mediating the masses. Otherwise what would happen if an admin wasn't online? You will still be responsible for PR reporting issues and making sure the conduct of the members is true to TTS's core values. This isn't a "give a little and get a lot of respect/free stuff" kind of deal. Commanders, regardless are in a position of leadership, of power and of responsibility. You wouldn't go into a job and be like "i don't want to work 3 days so instead I'm going to work 1" to your boss. Likewise your boss is t going to go up to you and be like "you've done nothing but stand around the water cooler all day and tell people what to do so here's a raise." Commanders volunteer their time to give to members and as they are in the limelight will always have responsibility to represent the guild, this includes "admin" work. Some of us just opt to do more. If this seems blunt that's because it is blunt, what power does a TS icon give you? You can still come on and command whenever you like. The icon didn't give you the power to do that, to think otherwise is simply vanity. 

~Byte

This is why I said what has happened is that the TTS leader position has simply be renamed TTS Commander, with no real substantive change to the role. The bottom line is that community commanders remain outside of the system, which was not how I had perceived the re-think. Clearly, there is no room for community commanders moving forward, and what has simply happened is that TTS has lowered the bar for entry into "leadership" and called the position "Commander" instead of leader.

Edited by Jacobbs

1 minute ago, Jacobbs said:

This is why I said what has happened is that the TTS leader position has simply be renamed TTS Commander, with no real substantive change to the role. The bottom line is that community commanders remain outside of the system, which was not how I had perceived the re-think. Clearly, there is no room for community commanders moving forward, and what has simply happened is that TTS has lowered the bar for "leadership" and called the position "Commander" instead of leader.

I suppose you could consider it that way, really the way I see it, commander is kind of between the old commander and leader position, admin added on is the old leader position and CO is kind of a mix of leader/council. 

Its still early, chances are that during the teething process people will have good ideas and they may well be taken on board. The issue I think we are facing is how to present those ideas. Ideally  ideas are better presented constructively to people. I know emotions become hot sometimes but if we calm down and look more objectively, perhaps you guys can present us with some really great ideas ^.^

Just now, Byter said:

I suppose you could consider it that way, really the way I see it, commander is kind of between the old commander and leader position, admin added on is the old leader position and CO is kind of a mix of leader/council. 

Its still early, chances are that during the teething process people will have good ideas and they may well be taken on board. The issue I think we are facing is how to present those ideas. Ideally  ideas are better presented constructively to people. I know emotions become hot sometimes but if we calm down and look more objectively, perhaps you guys can present us with some really great ideas ^.^

I have presented my ideas through other channels, and I was under the impression I was because of that channel of communication. Clearly, there is a gap between what I was told was in the proposal and the version presented here.

There are just some people who want to step up, but not have the added responsibilities of a leader. The community commander tag was a symbol that showed who were veterans at running events like Triple Trouble. No different from condi or reflect icons. But didn't want the added responsibility. Unfortunately, players like Liara, Nightlark, and many more were left behind during the "re-brading".  It's sad really, and unless there's an alternative to actually applying for leader, my assumption would be those players won't be applying.

I think the best thing we can do for now is to take a small step back and to see how it plays out for a small period. Like a tester. We're always open for suggestions so seriously, propose a change and I promise I will look over it fully and if I think it could work then I'll talk to the powers that be ^.^

3 hours ago, Raven Paradox said:

We also already have a secondary commander position,  it's people willing to step up.   I've said numerous times at Pacific that if people want to step up they can poke us,  or we even ask openly in the teamspeak.  We've had community nights with 7 leaders (including probies) in the channel.  The only difference is there isn't an icon.   None of this is saying,  "we don't need you anymore or appreciate what you've done for the community".   That couldn't be further from the truth.

Honestly, as someone that was attempting at one point to get my commander tag for Triple Trouble this is part of the problem. I spent many nights poking commanders during the NA timezone and not even getting a reply after poking multiple leaders at the time. The only time I consistently was able to lead was on nights leaders were not able to or on community night. While the icon had problems with sometimes being forgotten on whispers at least the leaders seemed to pay more attention to it whenever you poked.  While the process to get a commander tag was obscured and whenever pressed all you got was "keep leading" without any indication of progress I assume in order to make it less of a reward, all it did was make getting the tag frustrating. Even more so whenever you would fight to even get a night to lead and hope that some leader actually paid attention and gave you your marks with the only real option of leading consistently being to become a probie.

I just came back from a hiatus due to college and whenever I read the front page I thought that we were finally separating the commanding from the administration roles and therefore making it so that commanders was a real thing. Now I see all that has happened is renaming of the leader role, shifting around some of the higher level roles, and removing the difficult to get and often overlooked commander tag while still saying its "important". Sorry if I feel like liara and think "important" is your unique just like every other snowflake.

Just so we are well aware,  leaders weren't just people that commanded raids,  hence why we separated Commanders and Administrators.   Some leaders treated it was such,  which is also why this restructure has happened, and it's perfectly acceptable for people that wish to command to be commanders now where that is their main focus without dealing with the administrator stuff.

Also Equto,  you're talking about one timezone,  one I am not part of.   I can't tell you how NA is ran because I'm Pacific, and was EU, and briefly attended NA when I got a new job for about 2 months.   But I can tell you that my experiences with EU and Pacific is that whenever someone has poked us requesting to lead a wurm we discuss it among ourselves,  and most the time we're open to letting people lead when they ask.    Again,  I'm not NA,  so I cannot speak of that timezone.

As I've said before,  everyone is welcome to continue leading.    The difference is that "leaders" that have been doing admin work and choose to continue doing so aren't having to be hammered with commanding as well,  where as people that wish only to command aren't being hammered by admin work,  but still share the responsibility of representing TTS and the vision and assisting the community,  hence why we have probie commanders and are 4 week trial.    There are a lot of "behind the scenes" things leaders have/had to deal with besides popping into teamspeak and commanding a raid.   It's not just a renaming.

The purpose of the restructure and updating the commander position was to be more inclusive for people that like to command.   Not scare anyone away or insult them.   Sorry you feel that way,  but that's not the intention at all.

Obviously they did some other things, but based on what I have read in this thread "commanders" are still doing a significant amount of admin work other than just commanding and while this change does appear to allow admins to not need to command anymore, it doesn't seems to give a place for people who want to command to just command. As I said in my post and has been pointed out, the people that liked to just command and yet didn't want to become a probie due to admin work seem to have been thrown to the side in this shake up and told that were "important" where as all current "leaders" have become "commanders" and yet still seem to have the same role. What you are saying raven about commanders essentially just commanding is being contradicted by almost every other "leader" in this thread.

12 minutes ago, Equto said:

Obviously they did some other things, but based on what I have read in this thread "commanders" are still doing a significant amount of admin work other than just commanding and while this change does appear to allow admins to not need to command anymore, it doesn't seems to give a place for people who want to command to just command. As I said in my post and has been pointed out, the people that liked to just command and yet didn't want to become a probie due to admin work seem to have been thrown to the side in this shake up and told that were "important" where as all current "leaders" have become "commanders" and yet still seem to have the same role. What you are saying raven about commanders essentially just commanding is being contradicted by almost every other "leader" in this thread.

If setting a member to "active" is "a significant amount of admin work" - then I'm not quite sure what to offer you.

Commanders are asked to sit in two guilds, set members to active, and lead 2 events a week. Higher roles are purely voluntary - and are a progression for those who wish to give more to TTS. The entire split was based upon the idea that people wanted to lead without having to do a plethora of admin work that use to be associated with the rank. As for every other "leader" in this thread contradicting what was written, I can't really offer much there either. It's written quite clearly, and even looking over it now the OP and updated portions are both quite clear and concise in what is expected. 

I'm quite confused where the notion is that TTS is "casting aside people with the commander icons." The changes were specifically made so those with the commander icon could freely apply and do as they wanted while helping TTS. They grow the community by running events as per usual, get even more perks than they had before (creating channels, moving, etc.), all while doing less than previously required unless they volunteer their time in order to help TTS run day to day operations. I'm sorry you as well as others feel that the changes were meant to harm what you had earned, but that's simply not the case. At all. The prior complaint was that being a leader was far too much work, and as such these changes were made. While not wanting to be presumptous or put words in mouths - it almost feels like many want to show up when they want, do what they want, whenever they want. It's simply not how this works - nor would that be sustainable in any regard.

The purest intention of Kantriakhor and I's plan was to open up the commander position to more people by shifting the administrative work to those who like doing it and shifting the commanding work to those who like to do it. Take for instance Sera Rosso - loves her some administrative work, and would love to keep doing it. It's that simple.

Then it appears not everyone has the same idea of what the commander is, because your right the the post seems clear that commanders essentially lead events. However I have heard suggestions of PR reports, handling of guild invites, and general policing which to me is not minimal admin work and sounds as if its a change in name only. While I am sure the idea was the purest if intentions as you said, with all the leaders becoming pure commanders and the old commanders being told to apply or just volunteer and hope I honestly am not sure everyone was on the same page before this transition started.

3 minutes ago, Equto said:

Then it appears not everyone has the same idea of what the commander is, because your right the the post seems clear that commanders essentially lead events. However I have heard suggestions of PR reports, handling of guild invites, and general policing which to me is not minimal admin work and sounds as if its a change in name only. While I am sure the idea was the purest if intentions as you said, with all the leaders becoming pure commanders and the old commanders being told to apply or just volunteer and hope I honestly am not sure everyone was on the same page before this transition started.

Unfortunately, I can't attest to whether or not everyone was on the same page.

However, I can attest to what I suggested and how I proposed implementation. My only hope is that these things remain true - and that a clarification post will be made. I'd love to be able to pop in to the secret intricacies of the hidden portions of this forum, but I intentionally censor myself from their sections because I do not have the time, nor need to see what's behind closed doors. I do recall, before stepping down, what was said - and I hope it hasn't changed so much to the point that you are expected all of those things.

If you check the tts YouTube, you'll find a podcast that goes over the new roles in some measure of detail, I'll add more to this post tomorrow but suffice it to say that if you aspire to be a commander, your requirements will be to lead events twice a week and to set people to active within your guilds. You can, if you want, involve yourself with more, but you may want to become and admin or a CO if you wish to take on more.

20 minutes ago, Equto said:

I think perhaps what I said was misinterpreted, you will have to file PR reports if someone is being belligerent or doing something against the charter, so basically what you would do now. Not sure when guild invites were mentioned? TBH they take all of 5 mins but I can't find the OP mentioning that.

I had a longer post going that I decided against posting but will note some things:

• Volunteering: likely known for most of the people in this thread but for others
    • poke and/or use text chat on TS, in-game is the worst due to /supplyinfo killing chat
    • Fact of the matter is that some people just aren't as good at multi-tasking, so try to poke others who historically have a better response. If it's a consistent issue, poke a CO, so that the person can be made aware of it and hopefully try to improve.
  • ANet really needs guild slot expansions, because there's a backlog of around four guilds I'd be joining if it's a reasonable cost ;.;

Guild invites tend to be handled by the guild managers (admins) of respective guilds anyway. Sometimes we have even shared the responsibilities with each other. For example, @Gekk Exl will do Tribulation invites at times where I haven't gotten around to it yet, and I'll do them for Taco if I am able to and know that she's not going to be able to be on to handle them until much later.

Ailarin has covered pretty much everything so no need to repeat here. To further expand, it appears some of you are still stuck on the meaning of the term "Commander" prior to the transition. The role of Commander has changed slightly for the transition by lowering old "leader" requirements and raising old "commander" requirements to meet in the middle. 

Yes, the primary role of the new Commander is running events. Yes there will be minor elements of admin involved which is necessary. And yes, they will need to be in two guilds to bridge the gap between timezones and be more involved with the TTS community. One guild out of 8 is barely a slice of the pie and Commanders should be engaging and interacting with as many people as possible. TTS Commanders should be focused on building the TTS community and as much as people want to say otherwise, involvement in other guilds will hinder said focus. 

13 hours ago, Irrell said:

I'm just going to put this here. @Diviner

I know many who will voice this as well.

Edit: The reason I'm putting this here was also to highlight Jacob's post regarding NA calibre. 

Not sure if you are calling me out or...?  Cause if you are, you REALLY don't want to go down that road.  Let me be the first to tell you.

*sigh*     what a war i have started..... i just wanted recognition for those people who have worked hard to get their tags. keep the change for splitting admin vs ppl who want to lead events.. i think that is nice, i think it allows for better quality administration roles and better quality event leading b/c ppl are happy with what they can do., keep the change for new people who want to apply.. i like that they will be properly trained (as i had mentioned earlier (to Ally if i am not mistaken) about the situation with "probies"  sometimes not knowing the events), the 2 guild thing i am not sure about.... as long as we don't have to rep all the time i could delete an old guild to make room..... but lets be honest here, i have another non tts guild that takes up most of my in game time so the idea of repping tts all the time would never work for me, nor would being able to attend 2 time zones... OCE and EU time zones happen when i am working, i can attend NA as i always have, but PC takes me into midnight...getting up at 6am that would not work (hence why i do it on Friday nights, and Sat nights, when i can sleep in the next day :D )

........all i am upset/frustrated about is how there was no consideration or conversation to current "community commanders" (those of us with the blue dorito)... reading the initial post that said "Commanders- those of you who like to lead events" i was excited, that was me, i was all over it, and still want to me...... i just want the respect to those who helped lead your events in the past and assumed they would transition to become the new "commander" (if they were actively leading properly, AND if they want to consistently lead events and follow the new commander role).... don't make them start all over again, as if they don't know anything...and were never valued for their efforts. give them the option.

it has nothing to do with the names, or being stuck on the old vs the new... it's just a feeling that i worked hard, gave a lot of my time and efforts into this and then just had it taken away. maybe i am too sensitive.. maybe i over-reacted and should just apply....maybe it is about the stupid icon, if not for the icon itself, but for the fact that it allowed people to reach out to me, to ask questions, to ask to have me there when they stepped up to lead to provide support. for all those things i love about encouraging new people to learn and to feel free to ask me anything (no comments), and my willingness to help them......... but it felt like a slap in the face. and now i am torn on what to do going forward.

at this point, i am not sure how many ppl will read this post.... this thread is getting toxic and going on much longer than originally thought. but this is my clarification in case i have not been clear, or it was too hard to read through the salt of my previous posts.

8 hours ago, Byter said:

I think perhaps what I said was misinterpreted, you will have to file PR reports if someone is being belligerent or doing something against the charter, so basically what you would do now. Not sure when guild invites were mentioned? TBH they take all of 5 mins but I can't find the OP mentioning that.

To clarify, if you see something that you think violates our rules of etiquette, you make a post in our pr sub forum about what happened if you feel there's need of it, then the PR team does the rest.

as for invites, guild manager admins for each guild do those.