Sign in to follow this  
Light Guardian Jack

Light Guardian Jack's Guide to Guardian in Raids

EDIT: So since I wrote this Hammer Guardian has turned out to be the top DPS Guardian weapon so it's the set you'll want to learn if you want to Raid as a Guardian. It's Ok on Vale Guardian and Gorseval but really comes into it's own on Sabatha. Definitely recommended for learning players as it's a simple build.

Metabattle has a good article on this: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_DPS/Support

That being said, your viability and what you can do sort of varies on an encounter by encounter basis. So here’s a breakdown by encounter:

Vale Guardian:
Guardian is ok during Vale Guardian because their DPS check isn’t as tight and the mechanic are what arguably most groups struggle with you can comfortably fit a Guardian into the fight without feeling too unoptimal. Plus most of the Guardians tricks come in handy here.

Roles:

The Hammer Tank: 
-I think this is the role everyone pictured Guardians doing in Raids. Guardian is decent in this slot due to its 2 knockbacks (hammer and shield) for seeker control, AoE protection for the melee group and some minor passive healing through the symbol trait. That’s good for some groups who are learning the fight (and can meet the DPS check anyways) but more experienced groups will use a Chrono-tank or a tank with more DPS so they can clear the fight faster.

Green Circle Group Longbow DPS: http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAT7ensABddiFCBWCBEEhl4BLLF9iqCVBgtU9Se/1/WgA-ThRBAB4p7xMlgXt/o8jS1fA4JF8wFVIAwBQA++7v/+8zP/8zPvf/98fP/3SBonwK-e
-Guardian actually has one of the best 1200 range DPS weapons (I’m actually curious how much it does in comparison to tempest staff) in the Longbow which makes you strong in green circle duty. You also have 1 knockback on swap and up to 3 immobilizes you can use against seekers. Wings of Resolve also comes in handy as an emergency leap for when the circle spawns at the other end of the arena because the tank was one second off moving the boss…

Standard DPS Dragonhunter: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_DPS/Support

If you can't forfil any other roles, Standard hammer Guardian is ok during Vale Guardian but less optimal then other professions

Most other professions can fulfill  the melee DPS role better so I wouldn't recommend you go there. 

Gorseval
Gorseval is probably where the Guardian is the weakest, he is a hard DPS check and not a lot of use for the Protection hammer gives.. I’ve still beaten Gorseval as a Guardian and there’s a couple things I can tell you to do.

Roles:

Standard DPS Dragonhunter: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_DPS/Support
You mostly use the default Dragonhunter set and you can do 2 things 

1. Swap your 2nd weapon set to Greatsword and Pull small ghosts with Greatsword 5 and Virtue of Justice. You can pull those annoying small ghosts on top of Gorseval (when your pulling Gorseval to a wall) or the Big Ghosts (when Gorseval beckons for souls) so your team can more easily cleave them down.

2. Swap your 2nd weapon set to Longbow and Use your Longbow to clear orbs 

3. Just DPS. 

Sabatha 
Sabetha actually has some mechanics that the Guardian can counter. Her Auto-attack does some passive damage that you can reflect, you can use stand your ground on every flame wall to prevent mobs from kicking your teammates into a wall and the protection and healing from the Hammer actually comes in Handy during the hectic final phase. 

Hammer DPS Guardianhttp://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_DPS/Support

Since Sabatha stands still this build provides a good amount of DPS, permanent protection and some passive healing. 

Napalm baiter Dragonhunter:  use this but camp longbow: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_GS/LB

If you have a healer that can't be ranged (like if it's an elementalist or a new Druid) you can stay at 1200 range and camp longbow so that Sabetha shoots the Napalm on you. You still have access to all the defensive utilies in this role but remember you can't also be running hammer in this role and remember to use Wings of Resolve if you get a sapper bomb and your out of position. 

Overall I'd say the Guardian is ok during Raids at the moment and definitely can work for more "safe" compositions which want the extra protection and utilities that Guardian brings. 

Also I have never seen any kind of "healing" build work for Guardian. The closest I've seen is the "Celestial Tank" by DnT which has a little bit stronger healing but even they recommend the knights variant if you know what your doing. Druid and Aura Elementalist are just better straight up healing builds right now. We'll probably need a new Elite spec before the Guardian can heal. 

14 hours ago, Light Guardian Jack said:

Jacobbs was that meant for a different thread? Because while I know most Guardians will struggle with the Hammer Guardian rotation of 1-1-1-1-1-1 :P I think you meant to post in the composition thread. 

You're right, I did mean for it to go in the composition thread. Whops.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/44dli8/actual_dps_comparison_between_classesguard_ele/

So after reviewing this thread, I'm changing the recommended max DPS build for Sabatha to just be the hammer build with the Napalm build as an alternative. 

Not sure how good it is versus Gorseval and Vale Guardian since this build seems to require the target stand in your symbols and those bosses move a lot. 

12 hours ago, Light Guardian Jack said:

https://www.reddit.com/r/Guildwars2/comments/44dli8/actual_dps_comparison_between_classesguard_ele/

So after reviewing this thread, I'm changing the recommended max DPS build for Sabatha to just be the hammer build with the Napalm build as an alternative. 

Not sure how good it is versus Gorseval and Vale Guardian since this build seems to require the target stand in your symbols and those bosses move a lot. 

I'd imagine it suffers from the same problems the burn ele does: DPS not good enough due to movement. However, we did run this yesterday on Sabetha with limited success. Guardian was new-ish to Sabetha (and we had a lot of off class players), so we were not able to get into the last phase.

Edited by Jacobbs

The only fight I'm in 2 minds about is Gorseval. On one hand, he does move a bit but on the other the Burn Ele has to compete with a Staff Tempest while the Hammer Dragonhunter only is missing the Greatsword pull which he can still get from a 2nd weapon set. He honestly dosen't move that much. Brazil did manage to 7 man Gorseval with a Hammer Guardian on the team so there's that evidence too. 

Vale Guardian is probably too mobile for a hammer. 

Just updated this Guide with the Hammer Guardian in all slots: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_DPS/Support

I still find my Longbow Green circle build useful if we just want to clear Vale Guardian easily and need one more person for green ciricles but largely Allarin and I have found the Hammer Guardian is just superior on the rest of the fights due to more overall sustained DPS and essentially giving a ton of free protection. This is essentially more attractive with Revanents are now behind them in damage so you can't just bring a Rev for protection and DPS only anymore. 

11 hours ago, Light Guardian Jack said:

Just updated this Guide with the Hammer Guardian in all slots: http://metabattle.com/wiki/Build:Dragonhunter_-_DPS/Support

I still find my Longbow Green circle build useful if we just want to clear Vale Guardian easily and need one more person for green ciricles but largely Allarin and I have found the Hammer Guardian is just superior on the rest of the fights due to more overall sustained DPS and essentially giving a ton of free protection. This is essentially more attractive with Revanents are now behind them in damage so you can't just bring a Rev for protection and DPS only anymore. 

Yep, you're better bringing another druid or another ele if you have dual prot DHs.

5 hours ago, Spear Of Flame said:

Ah. So DH is more preferred than Revs now? or is rev/herald still a better choice over a DH (besides green circle duty)?

Revs are the best provider of fury still so that gives them a slot in Raids all the time. However they used to be able to provide fury, protection and do more DPS then Guardian so they were sort of overtaking the Guardian's niche. Now the Guardian has been solidified as the provider of pure protection and DPS since Revs don't deal more damage then them due to recent changes. 

So I beat Slothasor yesterday and wanted to share this new build. Slothasor is very much a Guardian fight, his minions spam conditions and their projectiles can be reflected. Slothasor himself spams a ton of conditions and tosses some fears and CC around.

So I dusted off a classic Guardian hammer build to use against him:

Old Skool Hammer Guard:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAS7elsAhmhYhQwXIQQEHxDFeJ+vtoGAbZ9mHjXMGB-ThRBABXt/o8DgjUAe6ee4gKQp6PmpEMAwBQA++7v/+8zP/8zPvf/98fP/3SBMwwK-e

Use Wall of reflection to negate a lot of slothling damage, Purging flames and Virtue of Resolve can be used to clear 3 conditions, and Virtue of Courage is used to break stuns of yourself and allies hit by his fear/CC attack.

Slothasor’s fat butt tends to lag behind on key points during his final phases so a scepter is good to have on swap.

You can use a variant with either the Radiance or Dragonhunter traitline if you want to use a Greatsword instead of a hammer to pull Slothlings into the group to get cleaved down. Dragonhunter will deal more damage but makes using Virtue of Resolve to cleanse scattered allies a bit harder.

Out of curiosity for your Slothasor build, why scepter over mace for offset? (granted you're not going to use it very often), but wouldn't it be better to start with Protector's Strike (3) and Symbol of Faith (2) then swap to hammer 11111 ? (free symbol \o\)

I just dont think Slothasor's stationary long enough to really benefit from Smite

7 hours ago, Irrell said:

Out of curiosity for your Slothasor build, why scepter over mace for offset? (granted you're not going to use it very often), but wouldn't it be better to start with Protector's Strike (3) and Symbol of Faith (2) then swap to hammer 11111 ? (free symbol \o\)

I just dont think Slothasor's stationary long enough to really benefit from Smite

I think its because Sloth can lag in following whomever he has targeted (at least that what I've gathered from Jacks kill video and others I've watched), so to keep some kind of dps you need range. It also might be in case he goes through the green (poison?) ground while coming after the targeted person.

47 minutes ago, Spear Of Flame said:

I think its because Sloth can lag in following whomever he has targeted (at least that what I've gathered from Jacks kill video and others I've watched), so to keep some kind of dps you need range. It also might be in case he goes through the green (poison?) ground while coming after the targeted person.

This is precisely it. 

On the final phase Slothy takes forever sometimes to catch up to the targetted person so I find Scepter is better then Mace. Mace is still a decent choice I just find having a ranged option is easier. 

Well we managed to kill Matthias! I tweaked my build even more for this encounter:

I'm not going over the encounter itself indepth so a lot of this might sound confusing but you can grab this build if your heading in there and want something dependable. 

Matthias Hammer Guardian:

http://gw2skills.net/editor/?vVAQNAS5elsAhyhYhQwXIQQELWEFWAUbRQWGUenncsP7BPA-TxBBABBclCwa/R5HAPAgzUCCxBVoS1fyT3TAgDgA893f/95nf+5nfe/+75/e+vlCYghVA-e

This is basically a normal Hammer Guardian build but I took out Zeal for virtues as I felt each of the 3 lines gave me something essential.

Dragonhunter is there for the Leap with F2 when you become corrupted. Using it + Judge's intervention I was able to get away from the group then back into the flght in a short amount of time. The Spear's can be used to break breakbars as well. 

Honor is there purely for the symbol trait, the extra healing and protection from hammer comes in handy.

Virtues is there for Master of concretions and Indomitable courage. Both aren't 100% required but I find saving allies and extra safety of a lower cooldown wall to be helpful. The extra condi-cleanse doesn't hurt either. 

As for utlities. Judge's is so you can teleport back to the fight immediately after dropping corruption (so you can get heals faster mostly), Bane signet is DPS + another break, and wall of reflection is given it's chance to shine as you need it to reflect Matt's projectiles back at him to break his shield. 

Rest is fairly standard hammer Guardian. 

Overall I found that Salvation's Pass is the Raid wing that allows Guardian to shine. There's a ton of stuff the Guardian excels at countering and I found it rewarding to clear the wing with my main.