Sign in to follow this  
Merforga

Break Bar Mechanics

All the meta events in HoT require understanding of the Break Bar mechanic. I've linked the relevant Wiki articles below for the lazy. Make sure you know how they work and which of your abilities can contribute. For the most part, priority should be given to Hard CC then Soft CC. You'll also want to get a 2-3 second break bar cycle down into muscle memory so you can break bars as soon as you see them / when they're called for.

Break bar mechanic: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Breakbar 
CC categories and skills: http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Control_effect 

Nope It's Revanent staff that's the best breakbar breaker. Since their staff 5 "charge attack" applies a knockback on every hit, they have the best burst breakbar potential of any class especially on large hitbox enemies. They can also follow up with Jade winds and glint's elite burst.

Edited by Light Guardian Jack

I think you completely overlooked Dragonhunter, and I strongly believe that it has the strongest burst CC. 

First, Guardian hammer's Banish is a powerful launch that takes a huge chunk out of any break bar regardless of scale.  It also has the warding circle (forgot the name) that punishes enemies crossing it.  Spirit Hammer has a knockback every third hit and the command is a knockdown . 

Dragonhunter has Dragon Maw has a pull plus barrier that ticks down the bar every time an enemy tries to get out of it.  When traited, traps gain access to a daze when activating which further improves Dragon Maw and any other trap you decide to use.  There is also Spear of Justice active pull that can help remove any additional break bar.  On top of that, they have an onslaught of cripples to keep ticking the bar down.

Has there been any info on the effects on the breakbar from soft CC compared to hard CC?

E.g: Sometimes I see the breakbar slowly reducing but other times I see it chunk down in a large amount.

I definitely notice the "chunking" from Jade Winds and similar, but what causes the "breakbar degen"?

soft cc causes a trickle that can't really be measured against other soft cc. Dragon hunter staff 5 if placed well can actually chunk a boss quite well due to them permanently getting knocked down. Personally still prefer revenant over guardian because revs can do it without sacrificing utility.

As a Mesmer I use

1. GS 5
  2. GS 4
  3. Shield 5
  4. Shield 4 twice
  5. Shatter 5
  6. Gravity Well
  7. Phantasms are off daze, shatter 3
  8. Shift back, Gravity Well again

Think the implication is that Revenant can't choose utilities, but the Guard/Dragonhunter can. So you could consider taking that particular CC as a loss of utility compared to other utility skills.

I do prefer Revenant for this, but you can spec Dragonhunter to have Justice's passive effect also cripple as well as burn. I was having a beast of a time doing anything to the break bar as a straight Guardian, but upon specc-ing into DH, things became so much easier. And I don't run any traps currently. You can also activate Justice, use Renewed Focus, then activate Justice again (again, if you're like me and don't like traps). The Heavy Light Grandmaster trait can also give you a knockback if you pay attention to your location in regards to the enemy.

I don't think it surpasses Revenant or Mesmer, but it has options.

On 10/29/2015, 1:12:47, Wickfish said:

Is there a different multiplier based on the soft CC? Such as cripple is half the amount of chill, for a random example?

It seems like there are tiers.

1. There's your hard cc like the stuns, knockbacks, etc. This removes a chunk of the break bar, assuming that the mob isn't immune (e.g. wurms and knocback)
  2. Fear, Immob, and Slow seem to be able to cause a trickle, sometimes pretty rapidly, alone (as in just fear or just immob). Fear has a stronger effect than immob as well. I'm not sure where slow (confirmed) and taunt fall into things; I don't see them on mobs often enough with just those two conditions alone.
  3. Cripple, blind, chill, and weakness typically require multiple - at least two for a tiny trickle from champs/legendaries.

It seems to me like chill has a bigger effect than blind - noticed the difference when playing my herald.

Jade Winds -> sword 2 -> Jade Winds is generally enough to destroy any break bar in a solo situation.

Blind on my warrior doesn't seem to do much at all, but immobilise does (both available on longbow).

I have no info on weakness.

As a Necro main, I've been trolling for as much info on the best way to reduce those break bars.. Not a hell of a lot of information out there yet..

In my observations running GS/Staff Reaper

Shroud #5 - Executioner's Strike - takes a nice chunk, thanks to the stun

Shroud #3 - infusing Terror , stage 2 - Terrify - meh takes some, thanks to the fear

GS #5 - Grasping Darkness - Takes an ok amount, thanks to the pull mechanic

Staff #5 - Reaper's Mark - meh takes some, thanks to the fear

Then we do put out lots of soft CC, like blinds, chill, poisons and bleeds.

I did try spectral grasp but didn't see enough return to keep it on my bar.

Any other Necros out there have any input or ideas for me to better contribute?

Ta

Dok

Okay so I've been experimenting Soft CC like Chill, Cripples, Blinds, and Immobilizes.

The monster I've been experimenting on is a Veteran Chak Lobber.

So, Soft CC alone hardly even moves the break bar at all. But I've figured out that if you combine Weakness with any form of CC it DOUBLES the effectiveness.

IMAGE OF WEAKNESS

IMAGE OF IMMOBILIZE WITHOUT WEAKNESS

IMAGE OF IMMOBILIZE WITH WEAKNESS

IMAGE OF CHILL WITHOUT WEAKNESS

IMAGE OF CHILL WITH WEAKNESS

IMAGE OF BLIND WITHOUT WEAKNESS

IMAGE OF BLIND WITH WEAKNESS

Not sure about cripples, but from what I've experimented it doesn't seem to move the bar even if you have weakness on the target.

IMAGE OF CRIPPLE WITHOUT WEAKNESS

IMAGE OF CRIPPLE WITH WEAKNESS

Edited by Primalachord

Yes, the break bar "drain" effect seems to multiply almost exponentially the more different types of soft CC are on a boss.

Also, tried chill on the grawl shaman legendary, and the break bar did do a tiny trickle (just enough to prevent regen :D), so I suppose it does fall into "tier 2".

Edit: Slow is tier 2 based on Legendary Archdiviner

Yes Weakness seems to double soft CCs.   It doesn't take effect on the bosses though for the actual condition,  but it will make the break bar go down a lot faster.

On 11/5/2015, 1:50:58, Doktaduck said:

As a Necro main, I've been trolling for as much info on the best way to reduce those break bars.. Not a hell of a lot of information out there yet..

In my observations running GS/Staff Reaper

Shroud #5 - Executioner's Strike - takes a nice chunk, thanks to the stun

Shroud #3 - infusing Terror , stage 2 - Terrify - meh takes some, thanks to the fear

GS #5 - Grasping Darkness - Takes an ok amount, thanks to the pull mechanic

Staff #5 - Reaper's Mark - meh takes some, thanks to the fear

Then we do put out lots of soft CC, like blinds, chill, poisons and bleeds.

I did try spectral grasp but didn't see enough return to keep it on my bar.

Any other Necros out there have any input or ideas for me to better contribute?

Ta

Dok

For me I run GS/Staff with 2 wells and YaaW/CttB or Golem, depending on if it's DS or an event like KotJ.

My rotation,  assuming I had no CCs is YaaW (for the might and weakness),  GS 5,  GS 4,  Staff 5,  Staff 3, RS 5 and RS 3 (but I generally try to avoid RS3 since it is a stab).   Somewhere in there I'll throw in CttB or Flesh Golem rush.